Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build your own Flash Cable

Default Re: Build your own Flash Cable

Hi, and thanks for the awesome forum! And yea, I got a very good price for the 620's, and figured "why not?" - they are for the Latin America market, and MAY be different frequency hops, but I have never been able to determine for certain if they really are different, or if it is the same transciever and chip, just using different keys. In which case, they SHOULD be able to be reflashed as a different model, and we are off to the races.

More likely, based on what Moto advertising I can find, is that these are 1st gen, and may not be able to be retrained. But their later ads all show 620 and 410 playing nice with each other, and in other adverts showing 410 and 550/650 playing nice. So there very well could be a connection, they just didnt want to have two identical models in the NA market.

Of course, I could just be blowing smoke. Only one way to find out, but I was hoping to get a flash cable for less than the $120 I am finding online. I only paid $80 for the two radios...
    Last edited by davethesoundguy; 09-12-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Good Info. Thanks.

Blog Entries

For those that were wondering, the NKN6559A cable works perfectly for building your own cable. The Radio end fits properly and opening it up to rewire it isn't too difficult if you're handy with electronics.

I just have to figure out what to mount the DC-DC converter into as a decent-looking lump in the middle of the cable...

Flash Cable 1.jpg

DC-DC & Connector.jpg
    -Andy

Default Re: Introductions

Cool! I'll have to get the NKN6559A cable on order and give it a try.

A small project box completely covered with heat shrink tubing for the dc-dc inverter might look OK.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I finally got around to building a flash cable. Now all my radios are upgraded and are programmable through the CPS! Here's a photo of the completed cable:

20171207_161711.jpg

Bruce

Blog Entries

Nice job! Looks much better than the mess I ended up with! ;-)
    -Andy

I was fortunate in being in the same country as Andy and being in similar industries, so he was nice enough to lend me his programming cable for a week. (I only had to upgrade five radios.) I am wondering if it is possible for anyone who has the factory cable or has built their own, to post where they are from and if they are willing to loan or rent their cable out to others on this forum. Because this cable is likely to be used only once, it seems silly to throw it in a drawer for the rest of time when so many other users could gain an advantage by borrowing it for a week. Obviously people would need to trust each other for this to work, but I was lucky in that Andy was not only very knowledgeable and professional, he was a very nice guy too. (Sadly, I think he already sold his factory cable, darn it. I would have bought it just so I could lend to others!)

Good idea. I'm willing to let people use my home built cable if they bring their radios to my location. I'm located in Mississauga, Ontario.

Here's a schematic for the home made flash cable using a donor NKN6559A cable and a DC-DC inverter. I found that the switch is not really necessary, just connect the positive input of the inverter directly to the +5VDC line.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information