Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build your own Flash Cable

Default Build your own Flash Cable

Hello. you can make a flash cable by yourself. only need a standard usb cable and a 12 v dc supply. Dtr has 17 pin at bottom connector (3 and 14 ); just connect on 14 pin side like following: black usb cable to gnd, red one to pin 3, green to pin 1, white to pin 2, and 12v dc to pin 12. Once you do it, just plug usb on pc, battery to radio and it is recognized as usb device by firmware software. Hope this works for you

Blog Entries

Default Re: Build your own Flash Cable

Quote Originally Posted by elsope View Post
    Hello. you can make a flash cable by yourself. only need a standard usb cable and a 12 v dc supply. Dtr has 17 pin at bottom connector (3 and 14 ); just connect on 14 pin side like following: black usb cable to gnd, red one to pin 3, green to pin 1, white to pin 2, and 12v dc to pin 12. Once you do it, just plug usb on pc, battery to radio and it is recognized as usb device by firmware software. Hope this works for you
    Amazing information - I'm not sure how you managed to figure this out, but thank you so much! If this works we should get some pictures showing the wiring on the DTR connector.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    -Andy

So, has anyone else tried this out? Confirmed working?
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello. you can make a flash cable by yourself. only need a standard usb cable and a 12 v dc supply. Dtr has 17 pin at bottom connector (3 and 14 ); just connect on 14 pin side like following:
    black usb cable to gnd,
    red one to pin 3,
    green to pin 1,
    white to pin 2,
    and 12v dc to pin 12.
    Just for clarification, the pin numbers above are for the 14-pin section. If we're to believe the information below, the 1st pin in the 14-pin section is called pin #4.

Motorola DTR 17pin connector.JPG

So, based on the diagram above, me ripping apart an NNTN4049A USB -> Moto cable, and the information you gave, this is the pinout:
    Pin 1&3: Black (Gnd)
    Pin 4: Green (D-)
    Pin 5: White (D+)
    Pin 6: Red (+5v)
    Pin 15: +12vdc

Also, the shield is connected to the internal metal shield around the connector.
    Note that the v60 connector is not actually the correct connector. The v60 connector uses a top locking mechanism, while the DTR uses a side lock. Also the block between pins 3 and 4 is bigger on the v60 connector and has to be cut off to work with the DTR.
    I have built this cable (by Frankenstein-ing a NNTN4049A cable I had) and can verify that it does in fact work!

Now if someone can find a source for the proper Moto 17-pin DTR connector...
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Updated info
    -Andy

So pins 1&3 are both fed back to USB ground?

Pin 15 is getting +12V, but there's no -12V? USB ground is enough?
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishnabotna View Post
    So pins 1&3 are both fed back to USB ground?
    Yes, in my case. No idea if Pin 3 needs to be connected to ground, but it already was in the cable I butchered so I left it.

Pin 15 is getting +12V, but there's no -12V? USB ground is enough?
    The ground of your 12vdc supply connects to Pin 1&3, same as the black USB wire. There is no -12vdc.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    -Andy

OK, so pins 1&3 get USB ground as well as PSU 12V ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Now if someone can find a source for the proper Moto 17-pin DTR connector...
    Serial cables are still around - maybe one of them just needs to sacrifice itself for the cause.

Blog Entries

Serial cables are still around - maybe one of them just needs to sacrifice itself for the cause.
    Not sure if the Serial cables would have all the needed wires connected or not. The USB cable I butchered only had the 4 USB wires. Also, the connectors are glued together - pretty much destroyed the connector taking it apart. Additionally, like to do it on the cheap and the serial cables can still be expensive.

But, it's probably a proprietary connector only made for Motorola anyway so there may be no choice...
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not sure if the Serial cables would have all the needed wires connected or not. .
    That very well could be. A multimeter should be able to tell us what pins are tied back to the serial I suppose.

Also, for as many times as it would be needed to work, creatively modifying the V60 connector isn't unreasonable. Even if you have to stand there and hold the v60 connector in the dtr jack while it flashed. I mean, how many radios will one guy flash over his lifetime?
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Blog Entries

I mean, how many radios will one guy flash over his lifetime?
    Over 100 myself so far, but then I have the flash cable.
    But you're absolutely right that most people would only need to use a few times. I'm glad that I was able to give building one it a try, so hopefully others can give it a try too.

Here's a cable that looks like it might have the right end or close to the right end...

Let me know how you make out with yours!
    Last edited by Andy; 06-23-2016 at 02:12 AM.
    -Andy

Thread Information