Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New DLR radios - compatible with DTR

Default Re: Help configuring DLR radios

You have taken this way beyond what i have. I never felt the need for private groups, so it is great to see you utilize those capabilities. The other thing I never explored was to list the DLR in with a DTR contact group beyond simply the default number. I see you managed to name the DLRs in the DTR contacts.

Default Re: Help configuring DLR radios

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenhawk View Post
    You have taken this way beyond what i have. I never felt the need for private groups, so it is great to see you utilize those capabilities. The other thing I never explored was to list the DLR in with a DTR contact group beyond simply the default number. I see you managed to name the DLRs in the DTR contacts.
    It turns out it wasn't hard to get a private group set up in the DLRs and get them working with the DTRs. I added my DTRs to my DLR programming and added the DLRs to my DTR programming. All of my DLRs and all of my DTRs now work with each other in a single Private Group.

Creating a private group in a DLR is no different from a DTR. It works exactly the same. You then need to map the Private Group to one of the DLR channels 1 thru 6 so you can access it. I used DLR channel 6 for my Private Group and kept DLR channels 1-5 at the default. The DLR's Profile ID is staying at 0000 (default). The Profile ID does not apply to a Private Group so changing the Profile ID only affects my DLR channels 1-5 because they are still at the default (Profile ID lock = On).

EDIT: I was wrong about what the Profile ID affects. Changing the profile ID affects the entire radio by modifying the particular hopset used or modifies the hopping algorithm on the particular hopset. Not sure what it actually does but it affects the entire radio. I tested this by changing the Profile ID on 2 of my 6 DLRs and found they will talk to each other like they did before but no longer talk to the other DLRs at all, including on my Private Group. The channel and group mappings aren't affected but EVERYTHING is now operating on a modified hopset or a modified hopping algorithm on the same hopset. I'm leaving the Profile ID at 0000 (default) to be able to work with my DTRs.

I customized the DLR channel names so it says "Public 1, Public 2" etc. to match the default public group names in the DTRs. I also named my private group. The radio name is based on the radio's own Private ID name so the CPS automatically figures out the radio name when I write the same codeplug to each DLR radio. I checked the box to use the radio's own Private ID name as the radio name. The radio plays the radio name and channel name at power up. A short button press on the power button plays the battery status (default).

Naming a DLR in the DTR contacts is identical to naming another DTR in the DTR contacts. A DTR doesn't care whether the contact being added is a DTR or a DLR radio since it only knows other radios by the 11-digit Private ID.

When entering private contacts into my DLR programming to add the the DTRs and other DLRs, I tried reading them over the air. It didn't work and an error message popped up about an ID already in use. I did not try to debug it and ended up manually entering the 11-digit Private ID for each contact.

When entering private contacts into my DTR programming to add the DLR Privates, I tried reading them over the air and it didn't work there either. When reading an ID over the air from another DTR, you do the 3-button press followed by PTT to get the DTR to send its ID to the DTR being programmed by the CPS. I've done it with my DTRs but it doesn't work with the DLRs. The DLR doesn't have a magic button press trick that I know of to send a DLR's ID to a DTR being programmed. I ended up manually entering the DLR's Private IDs to my DTR programming like I had to do with the DLRs. The bottom line is reading a DLR's ID over the air into a DTR doesn't work and the ID has to be entered manually.
    Last edited by n1das; 01-24-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    David Sterrett, N1DAS
    Nashua, NH
    Ham [HA] = N1DAS (02/1984)
    GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

Default Re: New DLR radios - compatible with DTR

I was thinking more about the Profile ID and Private Groups. If you wanted to make a group of DLR radios absolutely as secure as possible, I recommend setting the Profile ID to something other than the 0000 default AND set up a Private Group. The Profile ID would add a layer of security on top of a Private Group, something DTR radios can't do.

It would be nice if Motorola would update the DTR firmware to add the Profile ID feature to the DTRs. Maybe it will be included in a future DTR model someday, if that ever happens.

According to Motorola, DLR = Digital Lightweight Radio
    Last edited by n1das; 01-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    David Sterrett, N1DAS
    Nashua, NH
    Ham [HA] = N1DAS (02/1984)
    GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

Thread Information